Monday, June 2, 2014

Kerries Lets Talk Blog Challenge - Recommend to a Friend

So it's week 6 and the last week of the #LetsTalkBlogChallenge and if you don't know what that is here's a quick explanation in the words of creator  Sarah's Blog. 
So this is going to be a 6 week challenge, with a different topic each week that we'll write and tweet about. The plan is to write and schedule our posts for Monday at 8pm and then tweet our posts on twitter at that time, using the hashtag #LetsTalkBlogChallenge . That way every Monday at 8pm all our posts are live and we're all online to interact and share our posts with each other. I'll be online from 8-9pm every Monday, reading and commenting on all the posts and chatting to you all, just so there is a sense of community and interaction. 
This week's topic is - Recommend To A Friend
I'll start off with my favourite post from the challenge and it's from week 3 - Polished & Primed's Birthday Box Post I loved this in particular for Steph's decision to include a trip.  It's full of photos, location details, recommendation on places to stay, eat, drink, visit and shop - everything you would want to read and now I need to go to Brussles!!
Go to http://polishedandprimed.com for more!

Next up I have some beauty Recommendations,  I would have no hesitation in suggesting a friend try all of these products, my current favourites - Blistex forever! The real techniques sponge I have been using all of the time to apply my healthy mix foundation and the HD brow pallette is awesome, stellar berry by Maybelline somehow manages to leave my lips stained a lovely pink when the gloss wears off so loving that one. :)


Recommended Beauty



Books!  I enjoy recommending books and these are my picks for you my friends.

That They May Face The Rising Sun by John McGahern

This is the book I read most recently and I loved it.  It's possible my favourite book of all time.  I have seen a lot of reviews from people who really don't like it, complaining that nothing happens.  You need to look a little deeper, everything happens, it is life simply encapusulted in a year.  How he is able to convey the fields, the language, the people... I do not know but he does it and I feel I know those people. I DO know them! And if you have lived in rural Ireland, particually the midlands, you will know them too.

Things The Grandchildren Should Know by Mark Oliver Everett

I'm not going to spoil this book by tell you what happens and even if I did you wouldn't believe me.  You need to read it for yourself.  It is an autobiography/memoir, you might know Mark better as E from The Eels.  Even if you have no clue who he is I would recommend you read this book it is both harrowing and inspiring without being preachy. I love his wry humor it is sad, funny and unbelievable.

Tearing Down The Wall of Sound The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown

If you love music you will enjoy this biography of Phil Spector a controversial figure in later years but there is no denying his ability to product fabulous sound.  This book takes you through from his early years to the late 2000's.  Be warned it is a long read but that is required the man and a lot of shiz going on!  I really enjoyed it and learned a lot more about the era, the music and the key people involved in the dirty world of the music biz.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Another simple, direct story I think that is something important in my liking a book.  I want to read it again but it is tragic and hard hitting.  Beautifully written it reminds me of how life can unravel for some people.  I find it very hard to describe this book but I would just say read it.


So those are my recommendations, tell me what you think and let me know what would you recommend to a friend.
Until next time,







7 comments:

  1. Aisling McGarrigleJune 2, 2014 at 9:16 PM

    That Blistex relief cream is my must-have! I get the driest lips in the world so I am defo with you on the recommendation ahah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read The Bell Jar really need to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should really should do, but it is heavy going - if you're like me you'll have something light lined up to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have nightmares about it going off the market, that's how awesome it is :D hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys were so good to stick to this challenge, I never got a chance to say thanks for taking part, I'm going to try do another one before the end of the year cause it was so much fun, so glad you were part of it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to you for starting the challenge it was great fun, looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Kerrie said, thank you for starting it! I had lots of fun and it actually made me blog more than I ever did! Would love it if you made another one! Will be keeping an eye out for it! :D

    ReplyDelete