Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


"The Fault in Our Stars is the sixth novel by author John Green, published in January 2012. The story is narrated by a sixteen-year-old cancer patient named Hazel, who is forced by her parents to attend a support group, where she subsequently meets and falls in love with the seventeen-year-old Augustus Waters, an ex-basketball player and amputee." via Wiki


I've had The Fault in Our Stars book since it was released. I ordered one of the signed by the author Amazon books back when John Green was even making the videos of himself signing them. But unfortunately something went wrong with the Ireland (and I think some other countries too) shipments and I got an unsigned book. Later though I was sent a little sticker thing with his signature that I could stick into the book. I wasn't super happy cos that wasn't what I ordered but didn't mind so much now especially since I can give the book away and keep the signature! I put the book aside, misplaced it and have since been meaning to read it. When I heard about the movie I decided it was time to actually give it a go.

After so much hype about this book I have to say I was really disappointed.

Don't get me wrong I didn't hate this book, there was something I liked about it but can't really put my finger on it. It might have been John Green's fast paced rant/talking (Just like in VlogBrothers) or some of the good quotes he comes out with, I also really liked the Peter van Houten character which I don't think we got enough of. But still that didn't save it for me. 

One of the things everyone says straight away about this book is how terribly sad it is and how much they cried and its heartbreaking. Cancer is a horrible thing that too many people, teenagers and kids have to deal with but yet I didn't find it very sad or heartbreaking and I certainly didn't cry. I mean it's a sad story, yes, it's sad what happens, yes but still it didn't really make me get upset and curse the author like I did with Harry Potter. What happens is also very predictable in my opinion but I guess I was expecting it? So that made it less sad? Am I completely heartless? I don't think so. I just don't really like soppy, lovey dovey books or movies. Don't get me wrong I like romance when it's done right but this was a little teenagery for me. 

Again I can't say I hate it or dislike it and I can't say I wouldn't recommend it either. There is something there that I enjoyed but overall I was very disappointed with this book and do not get the hype over it. 

I really hate giving this such a bad review as I wanted to like it but it just failed for me. I won't let it put me off reading other John Green books though. Which hopefully I will have positive reviews about!


What did you think of the book? Does anyone else out there agree with me? I feel like so many people love it and find it so heartbreaking but I really felt none of those things.





1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy Vlogbrothers videos but I'm with you on this one. I'm really not crazy for his writing. He's got a nice enough writing style but something about it just doesn't sit right with me. I've read two of his books, TFIOS and Looking for Alaska, and I preferred the former. I don't think I'll be reading any more though!


    Thanks for leaving a comment on my post! Look at us go, commenting away ;) We're acing this goal, haha. Hope you enjoy the book you were going to read!

    ReplyDelete